Welcome to Academies City,
We are an online marketplace platform that connects students with the teachers so that they can avail various services, such as purchasing a book, or enrolling in a course, or scheduling in-house classes. (“Service”)
In case you are a teacher who is providing services on the Platform, please refer to our Teacher Terms posted on our Site and App.
1. ACCEPTANCE OF THESE TERMS
By accessing, downloading, registering, or using the App or Site, or by purchasing any product (such as books) or service (such as enrolling in a course) on our Platform in any way or by clicking on a button or taking similar action to signify your affirmative acceptance of these Terms, you hereby represent that:
- You have read, understood, and agreed to be bound by these Terms and any future updates and additions to these Terms, as published from time to time on the App and Website.
- You are of sound mind and at least of such minimum legal age as per the jurisdiction in which you reside, in order to form a binding contract with us. In case you are not of the age of majority as per the laws of the jurisdiction to which you are subject, then you must have the express permission of your parent/lawful guardian to use and access the Platform.
- We must not have previously disabled your account for violation of law or any of our policies.
- You agree, understand and acknowledge that the we are an intermediary marketplace platform that connects Teachers with the Students requiring their services, and as such we are only a facilitator between the Teachers and the Students, and we cannot be a party to or control in any manner any product (such as books) that you purchase from the Teachers, or any service that you avail from them on or off Platform, or the transactions that you may enter into with such, or your interaction with them. Accordingly, the contract of sale of product or service shall be a strictly bipartite contract between you and the respective Teacher, and we shall not be liable to you for deficiency of services in any manner.
2. IMPORTANT TERMS
For the purposes of these Terms, and all other policies of Academies City, the following capitalised terms shall have the following meaning:
- ‘App’ refers to the mobile application of ‘Academies City’ as available on Google Play Store, and Apple App Store.
- ‘Class’ shall mean a scheduled online or offline class, i.e. a service that you avail from the Teacher(s) through the Platform.
- ‘Student(s)’ or ‘User(s)’ shall refer to the students who purchase the product or avail the service provided by the Teachers on the Platform.
- ‘Teacher(s)’ shall refer to the teachers who have registered on the Platform to provide their products or services through their Listing to the students on the Platform.
- ‘Academies City Content’ or ‘Our Content’ shall refer to all the content belonging to Academies City on the Platform, including without limitation, text, graphics, images, music, software, audio, video, information or other materials.
- ‘Listing’ refers to an offer posted by a Teacher to provide the product (such as books) or the service (such as courses or classes) through the Platform.
- ‘Teacher’s Content’ shall refer to all the content posted by the Teacher on the Platform, such as through his/her Listings, courses, books, notes, blogs, profile, bio, etc.
- ‘Platform’ shall refer to the platform of Academies City, and shall include the App as well as the Website.
- ‘Service’ shall refer to the services of the Platform provided by Academies City through its App and Website.
- ‘Tax’ or ‘Taxes’ mean any sales taxes, value added taxes (VAT), goods and services taxes (GST) and other similar municipal, provincial, state and federal indirect or other withholding and personal or corporate income taxes.
- ‘Terms’ shall refer to these Terms of Service as applicable to the students, teachers, and other general users or visitors of the Platform. However, in case of other policies, ‘Terms’ could have a different meaning as provided in those policies.
- ‘Website’ shall refer to www.academiescity.com/.
3. ACCOUNT REGISTRATION, PASSWORD AND SECURITY
- Account: To access various parts of the Platform, and to avail various Services, you are required to register and create an account with us, as a ‘Student’. Registration is free. When setting up and maintaining your account, you must provide and continue to provide accurate and complete information about yourself. If you are a minor, we may require your parent’s email as part of the registration as well. As part of the registration process, you will create a password and an account.
- Information Verification: When you register for an account and from time to time thereafter, your account will be subject to verification, including, but not limited to, validation against third-party databases or the verification of one or more official government or legal documents that confirm your identity, and your location. You authorize Academies City, directly or through third parties, to make any such inquiries.
- Security: You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and account, and are fully responsible for all activities that occur under your account, including, without limitation, all actions by sub-users registered under your account. You agree to (a) immediately notify us of any unauthorized use of your password or account or any other breach of security, and (b) ensure that you exit from your account at the end of each session. We ask that you should not share your account or password with any third party. We cannot and will not be liable for any loss, damage or other liability arising from your failure to comply with this Section or from any unauthorized access to or use of your account.
- Inaccurate Information: If we have reasonable grounds to suspect that any of the information submitted by you is untrue, inaccurate, outdated, or incomplete, or that you have created a duplicate account, in that case, we may terminate your account, and refuse current or future use of any or all of the services. For example, if we come to realize that you have created an account with the sole purpose of building a competing platform or provide false feedback to the Teachers or to engage in any unfair practice, then we might terminate your account.
- No Selling: You are expressly prohibited from selling or transferring or gifting your account to any other person, without our prior written consent.
4. HOW CAN YOU USE THE PLATFORM?
- Allowed uses:
1. Directions of Use: You must follow any and all guidelines or policies or directions of use as associated with each of the Services on the Platform.
3. Material: For the purposes of these Terms, “material” shall mean any logos, trademark, text, video, quizzes, graphics, sound material, published on the Platform, whether a copyright of Academies City, Teachers, Students, other users, our licensors or any third party. You are not allowed to download or print the material, or extracts from it, in a systematic or regular manner or otherwise so as to create a database in electronic or paper form comprising all or part of the material appearing on the Platform. You must not reproduce any part of the Platform or the material or transmit it to or store it in any other Platform or disseminate any part of the material in any other form, unless we have indicated that you may do so.
- Restricted uses:
1. The Students and Teachers are not allowed to communicate outside of the Platform or share any personal communicable details with each other.
2. You must not share your or anyone else’s financial information, such as bank account details, card number, PIN, OTP, etc. with the Teacher. If you do this, and suffer a loss or become a victim of fraud or hacking or other financial fraud, Academies City assumed no liability whatsoever. This will also lead to your Academies City account getting restricted, suspended or banned.
3. The Teacher or the Student can’t impersonate others, create duplicate accounts, or provide inaccurate information about themselves.
4. The Student will able to leave feedback after purchasing books from the teachers, or after completing a particular course from the respective Teacher. However, you cannot post, raise, or comment on any political, racist or such other issue which effect’s a person, community or society. You must not be abusive and shall only provide your genuine feedback about service availed. Moreover, there must not be advertisement of any sort in the feedback.
5. The students are prohibited from providing a fake, paid, motivated or ingenuine feedback.
6. The Student must not misuse or interfere with the Services or Platform or try to access them using a method other than the interface and the instructions that we provide. You may use our Services only as permitted by law and as per the directions provided by us.
7. The Student must not:
• republish material from this Platform;
• sell, rent or sub-license material from the Platform;
• show any material from the Platform in public without our consent;
• edit or otherwise modify any material on the Platform (other than editing your own information/posts/contents as per the method provided);
• reproduce, duplicate, copy or otherwise exploit material on our Platform for a commercial purpose; or
• redistribute material from the Platform, except for content specifically and expressly made available for redistribution with our written consent and according to our terms;
• infringe or violate our Intellectual Property Rights or Intellectual Property Rights of our Teachers, Students, other users, licensors or any third party;
• We reserve the right to restrict your access to any areas of our Platform, or indeed our whole Platform, at our discretion.
8. You must not use our Platform in any way that causes, or may cause, damage to the Platform or impairment of the availability or accessibility of the Platform; or in any way which is unlawful, illegal, fraudulent or harmful, or in connection with any unlawful, illegal, fraudulent or harmful purpose or activity.
9. The Student must not use our Platform to copy, store, host, transmit, send, use, publish or distribute any material which consists of (or is linked to) any spyware, computer virus, trojan horse, worm, keystroke logger, rootkit or other malicious computer software.
10. The Student must not conduct any systematic or automated data collection activities (including without limitation scraping, data mining, data extraction and data harvesting) on or in relation to our Platform.
In case of your violation or non-compliance of any of the terms mentioned in these Terms, we reserve the right to suspend or terminate your account or your access to the Platform or our services, at our sole discretion.
5. OUR CONTENT AND RIGHTS
Our Website, App, software, platform, logos, Academies City Content, quiz, designs, trademarks, trade dress, trade name, all of our features, functionalities and services, shall remain the sole property of Academies City, and/or its licensors, as the case may be. Your use of or access to our Site or Platform or availing of our services shall not in any way transfer or assign to you any ownership or other proprietary rights in or to this Platform, our services, any content (except your own content), designs, published by us or our licensors or third parties. This Platform and the content, including but not limited to the trademark, logo, copyright, design, layout, typography, underlying HTML, Java scripts, text, audio clips, video clips and graphics, and in the expression of the information contained herein, whether as a compilation or otherwise is protected by relevant Intellectual Property laws, rules and regulations. Trademarks, trade names and designs appearing on this Platform are the exclusive property of, or are licensed to the Academies City and are protected under applicable law. No use of a trademark, trade dress, trade name, content or design appearing on our App or Website may be made without the prior written permission of Academies City.
6. CONTENT POSTED BY STUDENTS AND STUDENT’S RIGHTS
- Your Content is yours: The content, such as feedback left by you as a Student, may be protected by intellectual property laws. You own the intellectual property rights in any such content that you share on the Platform. Nothing in these Terms takes away the rights you have to your own content. You are free to share your content (except defamatory one) with anyone else, wherever you want.
- License: However, to provide our Services we need you to give us some legal permissions (known as a ‘license’) to use this content of yours. This is solely for the purposes of providing and improving our Services.
- Description of License: Specifically, when you share a content that is covered by intellectual property rights, you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, and worldwide license to host, use, publish, distribute, modify, copy, publicly perform or display, and translate your content. However, we do not have any responsibility to use or display any part of your feedback on any part of the Platform. We retain the right to display the same at our own discretion. For example, if we find it untrue, defamatory, misleading or false, we might not display the same.
- Terminating the License: You can end this license for specific content by deleting such content from our Platform, or generally by closing your account, except (a) to the extent you shared it with others as part of the Service and they copied, re-shared it or stored it and (b) for the reasonable time it takes to remove from backup and other systems. However, you might not be able to remove your feedback from our Platform.
7. CONTENT POSTED BY TEACHERS AND OTHER USERS
While using our Platform and our Services, you may encounter content or information (such as books, courses, bio, blogs, description of service offered, etc.) that is posted by Teachers and the comments posted by other Students. Therefore, there is a likelihood that such information or content be inaccurate, incomplete, delayed, misleading, illegal, offensive or otherwise harmful. Academies City generally does review content provided by our Teachers or feedback posted by other Students. We disclaim all guarantees and liabilities in this respect. However, if you come across a content that is hosted on our Platform, and is against any of our policies, you can report that content to us at [email protected].
8. RELATIONSHIP WITH ACADEMIES CITY
Academies City merely makes the Platform and Services available to enable Teachers and Students to find and transact directly with each other. Academies City does not introduce Teachers to Students, or select Teachers for Students. The Students (or their parents/legal guardians) are responsible for evaluating and determining the suitability of any Teacher or their services or books on their own. If Student decides to avail the services of a Teacher, the service contract is directly between the Students and the Teachers, and Academies City is not a party to that contract. In exceptional cases only Academies City may refund the Students the amount paid by them in according to its Refund & Cancellation Policy posted on the Site and App.
10. LINKS TO THIRD-PARTY LINKS
All services are subject to acceptance and availability and you agree to pay for the services that you purchase on our website, and you authorize us (or our third-party payment service providers) to charge your debit or credit card or process other means of payment for those payment. You shall be responsible to borne all the applicable taxes (wherever applicable). We reserve the right to modify the prices of quizzes, and Teachers reserve the right to modify the prices of their offerings, classes, courses or services. We reserve the right to discontinue any part of the Platform, at any time at our sole discretion, without any prior notice.
THE PLATFORM, WEBSITE, APP AND SERVICES ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” AND ON AN “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS. ACADEMIES CITY MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THE SITE, APP, SERVICES, TEACHER CONTENT, STUDENT ENQUIRY, CLASSES, COURSES, BOOKS, DOCUMENTS, USER CONTENT, OR ANY ACTIVITIES OR ITEMS RELATED TO THESE TERMS OF SERVICE. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, ACADEMIES CITY DISCLAIMS ALL EXPRESS AND IMPLIED CONDITIONS, REPRESENTATIONS, AND WARRANTIES INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, ACCURACY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT.
13. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
To the maximum extent permitted by law, in no event shall Academies City (or our licensors or affiliates) be liable to you or your business or any third party for any educational loss, academic loss, financial loss, transaction failure, fraud, loss occurred due to use of books or notes or documents or classes or services availed from Teachers, costs of procurement of substitute services, or any indirect, consequential, exemplary, incidental, special or punitive damages arising from or relating to these Terms or your use of, or inability to use the Platform, even if Academies City has been advised of the possibility of such damages. Access to, and use of, the Platform is at your own discretion and risk, and you will be solely responsible for any damage to your education, person or device or computer system, or loss of data resulting therefrom. To the maximum extent permitted by law, notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained herein, our liability to you for any damages arising from or related to these Terms (for any cause whatsoever and regardless of the form of the action), will at all times be limited to the amount of your payment in question. The existence of more than one claim will not enlarge this limit. In case where the Site or App is down, either due to planner maintenance or due to some technical glitch or error, we will not be liable to compensate you for any reason whatsoever.
You acknowledge to defend, indemnify and hold Academies City, its owners, affiliates, directors, officers, employees, agents, partners, and any other licensors (hereinafter referred to as “Indemnified Party”) harmless from and against any claim, disputes, fine, liability, demand or expense, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, made by a third party, relating to, or arising from:
- Your violation of ours or any third-party right, including without limitation to any right to privacy, publicity rights, defamation or intellectual property rights;
- Your wrongful or improper use of our services, or Platform;
- Your violation of any applicable laws, rules or regulations or any other applicable law through or related to the use of our services;
- Your violation of these Terms, or any other policy of Academies City as associated with our Services;
- The indemnifications set forth above will survive the termination or expiration of these Terms and/or your use of our Services.
15. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY INFRINGEMENT
Please notify us if you believe any of your intellectual property rights have been infringed on our Platform. Please file your intellectual property infringement claim in accordance with our Intellectual Property Claim Notice posted on the App and Site.
16. GOVERNING LAW AND DISPUTE RESOLUTION
- Governing Law: these Terms and any dispute arising from the same will be governed by applicable laws of United Arab Emirates.
- Exclusive Jurisdiction: All disputes must first be attempted to resolved amicably, failing which, such controversy, conflict or dispute shall be finally settled by bringing it before the appropriate courts situated in Dubai, UAE.
- Waiver of Jury Trial: YOU AND US HEREBY WAIVE ANY CONSTITUTIONAL AND STATUTORY RIGHTS TO SUE IN COURT AND HAVE A TRIAL IN FRONT OF A JURY. YOU AND ACADEMIES CITY ARE INSTEAD ELECTING THAT ALL CLAIMS AND DISPUTES ARISING OUT OF OR IN RELATION TO THESE TERMS BETWEEN YOU AND ACADEMIES CITY, SHALL BE RESOLVED BY A JUDGE.
- Waiver of Class Action and Relief: ALL CLAIMS AND DISPUTES WITHIN THE SCOPE OF THESE TERMS MUST BE ADJUDICATED ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS AND NOT ON A COLLECTIVE CLASS BASIS, ONLY INDIVIDUAL RELIEF IS AVAILABLE, AND CLAIMS OF MORE THAN ONE TEACHERS/STUDENTS, AS THE CASE MAY BE, CANNOT BE LITIGATED OR CONSOLIDATED WITH THOSE OF ANY OTHER TEACHER/STUDENT, AS THE CASE MAY BE.
- Disputes between Teachers and Students: You understand and acknowledge that Academies City is a mere facilitator between the Teachers and the Students, and we in no way are responsible for the conduct of the Teachers or the classes or courses or notes or books or documents or quality of the services offered by them or for any of their conduct or actions outside of our Platform (for example, in case of tutoring at home). Therefore, if you have any claim or dispute against a Teacher, you undertake to take it up directly with the concerned Teacher. Academies City shall not mediate or resolve such disputes, and nor shall become a party to such disputes. However, if you believe that a Teacher has violated our Terms or applicable law or any other policy of Academies City, you can file your complaint at [email protected] and we will take necessary action in accordance to our policies and applicable law.
When you use the Platform or send emails to Academies City, you are communicating with us electronically. You consent to receive electronically any communications related to your use of this Platform. Academies City will communicate with you by email or by posting notices on the Site or App. You agree that all agreements, notices, disclosures and other communications that are provided to you electronically satisfy any legal requirement that such communications be in writing. We may give notice by means of a general notice via electronic mail to your email address as available with us. If you want to give a notice to us, you can do so by dropping an electronic mail to [email protected].
- Breach: Academies City reserves the right to put any account on hold or permanently disable accounts due to breach of these Terms of Service and/or our other policies or due to any illegal or inappropriate use of the Platform or Services.
- Non-circumvention: You must not circumvent or attempt to circumvent our fees/commission model or communication mode by making the payments outside of Academies City or communicating outside of Academies City.
- Feedback Rights: To the extent that you provide Academies City with any comments, suggestions or other feedback regarding the Academies City platform or Site or App, as well as other Academies City services (collective, the “Feedback”), you will be deemed to have granted Academies City an exclusive, royalty-free, fully paid up, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide ownership rights in the Feedback. Academies City is under no obligation to implement any Feedback it may receive from users.
- Targeted Abuse: We do not tolerate users who engage in targeted abuse or harassment towards other users on Academies City. This includes creating new multiple accounts to harass other users or Teachers through our message or consultation.
- Severability: If any provision of these Terms is held to be unenforceable or invalid, such provision will be changed and interpreted to accomplish the objectives of such provision to the greatest extent possible under applicable law and the remaining provisions of these Terms will continue in full force and effect.
- Waiver: Our failure to insist on or enforce strict performance of these Terms shall not be construed as a waiver by us of any provision or any right that we have to enforce these Terms and nor shall any course of conduct between Academies City and you or any other party be deemed to modify any provision of these Terms.
- Survival: Notwithstanding any other provisions of these Terms, or any general legal principles to the contrary, any provision of these Terms that imposes or contemplates continuing obligations on either party shall survive the expiration or termination of these Terms, for any reason whatsoever.
- No Third-Party Beneficiaries: Except as otherwise expressly provided in these Terms, there shall be no third-party beneficiaries to these Terms.
- No Assignment: You may not assign these Terms (or any rights, benefits or obligations hereunder) by operation of law or otherwise without the prior written consent of Academies City, which may be withheld at Academies City’s sole discretion. Any attempted assignment that does not comply with these Terms shall be null and void.
- Force Majeure: Academies City will be excused from performance for any period during which, and to the extent that, such party or any subcontractor is prevented from performing any obligation or service, in whole or in part, as a result of causes beyond its reasonable control, and without its fault or negligence, including without limitation, acts of God, strikes, lockouts, riots, acts of terrorism or war, epidemics, communication line failures, power failures and government-imposed lockdowns or similar restrictions.
- Updates to these Terms: We may add to or change or update these Terms at any time, from time to time, entirely at our own discretion, with or without any prior written notice. You are responsible for checking these Terms periodically. Your use of the Platform after any amendments to these Terms shall constitute your acceptance to such amendments.
19. Grievance Officer/Designated Representative
- Name: Mohamed Elsayed
- Email: [email protected]
20. Feedback and Information
We welcome your questions or comments regarding these Terms. You can write to us via email: [email protected].